Maeve is undertaking a PhD in Medicine & Health under the Dept. of Obstetrics & Gynaecology at University College Cork. Her research subject is tocophobia in pregnancy (severe fear of birth) within the thematic area of epidemiology at INFANT.
She is a midwife from Cork and still maintains clinical practice in both Cork (Cork University Maternity Hospital) and London (St Thomas’ Hospital). She previously gained both a BSc (Hons) in Nursing Studies and a PgDip in Midwifery at University College Cork before achieving a Masters by Research at King’s College London. Her research interests include perinatal mental health and smoking cessation in pregnancy.
Her research is investigating women’s perceptions and feelings surrounding childbirth, specifically exploring the prevalence of tocophobia in a cohort of pregnant Irish women and factors associated with tocophobia. Following on from this, postnatal outcomes will be reported for this cohort.
The overall aim is to optimise care for women experiencing tocophobia and findings will influence the care pathway in Ireland for these women. This PhD will provide a unique insight into a previously unresearched phenomenon in Ireland in the area of perinatal mental health.
- 2016- present Full time PhD Student, INFANT Centre, University College Cork
- 2010- present Midwife, Guys’s & St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, London
- 2004- present Nurse/ Midwife, Nurse on call Agency, Cork
- 2013-2015 Clinical Research Midwife/ Part time PhD Student, INFANT Centre, University College Cork
- 2012 MSc (Advanced Practice) by Research, King’s College London, London
- 2008-2010 Midwife, Chelsea & Westminster NHS Foundation Trust, London
- 2008 PgDip in Midwifery, University College Cork
- 2005 BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies, University College Cork
- 2004-2006 Nurse, South Infirmary-Victoria University Hospital, Cork
- 2004 Diploma in Nursing, Cork Voluntary Hospitals/ University College Cork
- 2015 Shortlisted for the Jacqueline Horgan Bronze Medal Award (Epidemiology & Public Health) at the Royal Academy of Medicine Ireland (RAMI)
- 2015-present Member of Royal Academy of Medicine Ireland
- 2014 Finalist Doctoral Showcase UCC
- 2014-present Member of The Marcé Society for Perinatal Mental Health
- 2008-present Member of the Royal College of Midwives