Ana is the clinical co-ordinator / neonatal research dietitian on PiNPoiNT, Personalised Nutrition for the Preterm Infant project, which is a Science Foundation Ireland-funded study that will devise and implement digital systems for real-time monitoring of nutritional support in preterm infants.
Ana is a highly experienced dietitian with over 25 years post qualification experience in clinical nutrition and dietetics in a variety of settings in the UK and Ireland.
Ana has extensive knowledge in both paediatric and neonatal nutrition and is committed to promoting excellence in nutritional support with a keen interest in clinical research and evidence-based neonatology.
2000: Diploma in Advanced Dietetic Practice (British Dietetic Association)
1983-1987: BSc (Hons) degree in Human Nutrition / Diploma in Dietetics, Trinity College Dublin / Dublin Institute of Technology.
2016: Clinical Co-ordinator / Neonatal Research Dietitian on Pinpoint
2006-2016: Senior Neonatal / Paediatric Dietitian, Nutrition and Dietetic Department, University College Hospital, Newcastle Road, Galway.
2009-2012: Consultant Paediatric Dietitian, Infant and Child Nutrition Private Practice, Galway.
2002-2006: Senior Paediatric Dietitian, Nutrition and Dietetic Department, University College Hospital, Newcastle Road, Galway.
1998—1999: Senior Paediatric Dietitian, Nutrition and Dietetic Department, Birmingham Children’s Hospital, Birmingham, England
1993-1995: Research investigator on randomised controlled trial: Effect of glutamine enriched semi-elemental enteral nutrition compared with standard feed on gastrointestinal integrity, immune function and nitrogen balance in critically ill patients, Abbott Nutrition.
1992-1997: Senior Dietitian (Paediatrics / ICU / Trauma), Nutrition and Dietetic Department, Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, London, England.
1990-1992: Senior Dietitian, Nutrition and Dietetic Department, Royal London Hospital, Mile End, London, England.
1988-1990: Basic Grade Dietitian, Nutrition and Dietetic Department, St Helier Hospital, Carshalton, Surrey, England.
Professional Activities / Achievements
- Member of National Clinical Programme for Paediatrics and Neonatology Parenteral Nutrition Expert Group who are currently developing a national PN policy with e-learning module.
- Collaborating with Irish Neonatal dietitians to develop national evidence-based neonatal nutrition guidelines.
- Contributed to design of nutrition-related features for Maternal & Newborn Clinical Management System(MN-CMS).
- Co-author for Nutritional Support Reference Guide, INDI 2015.
- Co-author on BAPM Joint Consensus statement on weaning preterm infants.
- Achievement of Baby Friendly accreditation award for Galway University Hospitals, Baby-Friendly Committee 2006.
- Clinical teaching experience:
- Postgraduate education programme for NCHDs at Galway University Hospitals.
- Nutrition module for medical undergraduates, Royal London Hospital.
- Lecture on neonatal nutrition at local and national level
Professional Organizations / Membership
2016 - CORU professional registration
2012 - Neonatal Nutrition Network (N3)
2000 - Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute INDI.
1996 - Neonatal Dietitians Interest Group (UK &Ireland)
1987 - British Dietetic Association (BDA)