Conal's research interests consist of infant developmental assessment, psychometric measurement and cognitive and intellectual function from infancy to toddlerhood. He has also researched interaction and attention levels in toddlers using digitised Apps created to measure working memory for toddlers.
Other projects include the development of a European survey to identify treatment practices of neonatal seizures by neonatologists and paediatric neurologists (NEMO Survey), the BRANE-Child project (Brain Research after Neonatal Encephalopathy) and database development for the Irish Centre for Fetal and Neonatal Translational Research (INFANT).
Currently, Conal works on the COMBINE project as a psychologist assessing infant’s information processing ability as young as 4 months through experimental tasks. He also uses a number of standardised methods of measuring motor, cognitive and language skills in infants at 12, 18 and 24 months of age. The COMBINE project aims to investigate the impact of nutrition on physical and neurological outcomes early in life to toddlerhood. As a psychologist, Conal is interested in how nutrition impacts typical cognitive and intellectual function at a very young age and the individual differences that relate to these developmental changes.
- 2015-Present Research Psychologist for INFANT
- 2013-2015 Research Assistant for INFANT
- 2015 MA in Applied Psychology
- 2014 BA in Applied Psychology
- 2016 Certified in Occupational First Aid Training
- 2015 Certified in Bayley Scales of Infant Development (BSID-III)
- 2015 Certified in Good Clinical Practice
- 2015 Received title of College Scholar for academic performances in examinations
- 2015 Received first prize for Inaugural INFANT Research Seminar poster presentation
- 2014-2013 Highly commended in the International Undergraduate Awards of 2013 and 2014 for psychology essays submitted throughout my undergraduate degree.
- 2013 Public Relations Officer for UCC Psychological Society
- 2012 Representative for UCC School of Applied Psychology Marketing and Communications Committee
- 2011 Foundationally certified for Sports Psychology, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Counselling Skills and Psychotherapy