Deirdre is currently working on developing and validating a touchscreen cognitive assessment tool which can be administered to toddlers under the age of three. She is also working on the neurodevelopmental follow up programme with INFANT where she administers developmental assessments to children that were recruited to research studies at Cork University Maternity Hospital, particularly in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
Deirdre’s PhD research focused on expanding our understanding of the functional characteristics of neural decision variable signals under different experimental conditions and on establishing whether the neural metrics of the perceptual decision-making process can be used as a tool to further our understanding of clinical disorders in which there may be compromised decision-making capacities (ADHD).
- 2012-2016 Ph.D, Department of Psychology, Trinity College Dublin
- 2013-2014 PGradCert, Statistics, Trinity College Dublin
- 2006-2010 BA (International) Psychology, National University of Ireland Galway & The Paris Lodron University of Salzburg (Year 3)
GRANTS & AWARDS
- Shortlisted for a Fulbright Student Award in Science and Technology (2015–2016).
- ‘The classic P300 encodes a build-to-threshold decision variable’ (Twomey et al., 2015) was the featured article and cover of the European Journal of Neuroscience, Volume 42, Issue 1, July 2015.
- Trinity College Dublin Postgraduate Scholarship (2013-2016) – €42,000.
- National University of Ireland, Galway Postgraduate Award (2013-2016) – €18,000.
- Society for Psychophysiological Research Travel Award (2013) – €350.
- Irish Research Council Embark Research Award (2010–2013) – €72,000.
- Science Foundation Ireland Undergraduate Research Experience & Knowledge Award (2009) – €3,500.
- National University of Ireland, Galway undergraduate academic excellence award (2008, 2009) – €500.
- National University of Ireland, Galway Erasmus award in recognition of undergraduate academic excellence (2008) – €1,800.
- National University of Ireland, Galway Entrance Scholarship in recognition of academic excellence (2006) – €1,500.
- Twomey DM, Kelly SP, O’Connell RG (2016). Abstract and Effector-Selective Decision Signals Exhibit Qualitatively Distinct Dynamics before Delayed Perceptual Reports. The Journal of Neuroscience, 36(28): 7346-7352.
- Twomey DM, Murphy PR, Kelly SP, O’Connell RG (2015). The classic P300 encodes a build-to-threshold decision variable. European Journal of Neuroscience, 42:1636–1643.
- Murphy JR, Rawdon C, Kelleher I, Twomey DM, Markey PS, Cannon M, Roche RAP (2013). Reduced duration mismatch negativity in adolescents with psychotic symptoms: further evidence for mismatch negativity as a possible biomarker for vulnerability to psychosis. BMC Psychiatry, 13:45.
- Elliott MA, Twomey DM, Glennon M (2012). The dynamics of visual experience, an EEG study of subjective pattern formation. PLOS ONE, 7(1): e30830.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Twomey DM, Kelly SP, O’Connell RG (2013). The temporal dynamics of decision formation and motor preparation. Psychophysiology, 50:S28–S28.
- Elliott MA, Mulcahy P, Kelly J, Twomey DM, Brosnan J (2011). Effects of golden sectioning on search and discrimination in Mondrian-like grids. Proceedings of the 27th Annual Meeting of the International Society for Psychophysics, 27:137–142.
- Twomey DM, Glennon M, Elliott MA (2010). Electrophysiological correlates of flicker-induced form hallucinations. Proceedings of the 26th Annual Meeting of the International Society for Psychophysics, 26: 523–528.
- Murphy J, Rawdon C, Twomey DM, Greally P, Roche RAP, Cannon M (2010). Semantic processing and context integration in adolescents with psychotic-like experiences. Irish Journal of Medical Science, 180:46–47.
- Murphy J, Rawdon C, Twomey DM, Roche RAP, Cannon M (2010). ERP abnormalities during semantic processing in adolescents at-risk for psychosis. Schizophrenia Research, 117(2):363–364.