Áine is a SFI-funded Investigator and Senior Postdoctoral Researcher at the Cork Centre for Vitamin D and Nutrition Research and The INFANT Research Centre at University College Cork.
Áine joined the School of Food and Nutritional Sciences at UCC in 2010 as a Research Assistant where she worked on the National Adult Nutrition Survey and the National Pre-school Nutrition Survey. During this time, Áine completed a PhD in Nutrition in the area of micronutrients and the role of fortified foods in the diets of young children and adults.
In 2014, Áine undertook her postdoctoral training at the Cork Centre for Vitamin D and Nutrition Research at the School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, UCC and worked on the EU-FP7-funded ODIN project (Food-based solutions for optimal vitamin D nutrition and health through the life cycle) to conduct randomised controlled trials to establish the dietary requirement for vitamin D during pregnancy, childhood and adolescence, in addition to investigating the relationship between vitamin D status and atopic disease in early childhood.
In 2019, Áine was awarded a Science Foundation Ireland Starting Investigator Research Grant (SIRG) and is currently working within INFANT on the associated project which uses an outcome-driven, personalised nutrition approach to investigate functional indicators of iodine status during pregnancy.
- 2019-present: SFI-funded Investigator / Senior Postdoctoral Researcher, Cork Centre for Vitamin D and Nutrition Research and INFANT, University College Cork
- 2018-2019: Senior Project Manager, Atlantia Food Clinical Trials, Cork
- 2014-2018: Post-doctoral Researcher, Cork Centre for Vitamin D and Nutrition Research, University College Cork
- 2010-2013: Research Assistant, Irish Universities Nutrition Alliance, School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College Cork
- 2010-2013: PhD, School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College Cork
- 2006-2010: BSc (Hons) in Nutritional Sciences at University College Cork
Áine is a member of the Nutrition Society and regularly attends national and international nutrition conferences.
In 2012 Áine won the Nutrition Society Postgraduate Review Competition and published the associated review in the Proceedings of the Nutrition Society.
- Áine is a reviewer for a number of international nutrition journals.