Dr Laura O’Byrne
Dr Laura O’Byrne is a Clinical researcher at INFANT. She is a specialist registrar in Obstetrics and Gynaecology and a current PhD candidate. The focus of her PhD is patient reported outcome measures in maternity care. This is a collaborative project funded by HRB between INFANT, NPEC and the School of Public Health in UCC.
2017 – Present Royal College of Ireland higher specialist training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Maternity Hospital Limerick and Cork University Maternity Hospital
2014 -2017 Royal College of Ireland basic specialist training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Coombe Womens and Infants Hospital Dublin, St James University Hospital Dublin and Regional Hospital Mullingar.
2013-2014 Resident Medical officer Obstetrics and Gynaecology in King Edward Memorial Hospital Perth, Australia.
2012-2013 Internship Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin
2008-2012 Bachelor of medicine Bachelor of Surgery Honours Degree University of Limerick
2004-2008 Honours BSc in Physiology and Pharmacology, University College Dublin.
Professional Activities / Achievements
- MRCOG 2018, Member of Royal college of Obstetricians and Gyanecologists UK
- MSc Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2017, University College Cork
- MRCPI 2016, Member of the Royal College of Physicians Ireland
- Awarded Summer Scholarship 2007 with the Conway Institute, UCD. Dr Oliver Blaque investigating Cillia dysfunction
- O’Byrne, L.J., Alqatari, S.G., Maher, G.M., O’Sullivan, A.M., Khashan, A.S., Murphy, G.P. and Mccarthy, F.P. (2022), Fetal and maternal outcomes after maternal biologic use during conception and pregnancy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BJOG: Int J Obstet Gy. PrePrint. Accepted Author Manuscript. https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0528.17093
- O’Byrne L, Maher G, Khashan A, Greene R, Browne J, Mc Carthy F. Patient reported outcome measures in childbirth and postpartum maternal quality of life: a protocol for systematic review of measurement properties. HRB Open Res 2021, 4:117 (https://doi.org/10.12688/hrbopenres.13445.1)
- Änne Helps, Keelin O’Donoghue, Laura O’Byrne, Richard Greene, Sara Leitao Governance of maternity services: Effects on the management of perinatal deaths and bereavement services., Midwifery, Volume 101, October 2021, 103049
- Helps Ä, O’Donoghue K, O’Byrne L, Greene R, Leitao S. Impact of bereavement care and pregnancy loss services on families: Findings and recommendations from Irish inquiry reports. Midwifery. 2020 Dec;91:102841. doi: 10.1016/j.midw.2020.102841. Epub 2020 Sep 10. PMID: 32956983.