Friday 20 October 2017
This Research Day will share, promote and facilitate discussion on cutting edge, best practice perinatal research from international experts and early career researchers on how to improve health outcomes for pregnancy, infancy and childhood.
The event will take place in the Clayton Hotel, Lapps Quay, Cork.
Registration Opens at 08:15.
Our Programme begins at 08:45 with a Welcome Address.
A poster session will take place at the break time.
Lunch will be provided to all attendees.
Chair: Prof Louise Kenny
09:00 – KEYNOTE: Prof Richard McManus
Self-Monitoring of Blood Pressure to Detect and Manage Hypertension During and After Pregnancy:
Can Women Do It Better?
- 09:45 – Dr Cathal McCarthy – Mitochondrial superoxide scavengers mediate endothlelial dysfunction in pre-eclampsia
- 10:00 – Eoin Roche – Analysis of comparable home / clinic blood pressure readings in the LEANBH population
- 10:15 – Sinead Flanagan – Periconceptual Maternal Alcohol Consumption and Subsequent Behavioural Outcomes at 2 and 5 Years of Age
Birth & Pregnancy Loss Session
Chair: Dr Keelin O’Donoghue
10:45 – KEYNOTE: Prof Anna David
Novel treatments for fetal growth restriction using gene therapy and other innovative approaches
- 11:30 – Indra San Lazaro Campillo – Ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage hospital admission in Ireland: incidence, type of management and morbidity indicators
- 11.45 – Maeve O’Connell – Prevalence and associated risk factors of tocophobia in an Irish population
- 12:00 – Dr Karen McNamara – Intrapartum Death and Doctors: A Qualitative Exploration
12:15: Lunch & Poster Session
Chairs: Prof Gene Dempsey & Prof Mairead Kiely
13:00 – KEYNOTE: Prof Barry Schifrin
The Timing and Mechanism of Intrapartum Fetal Neurological Injury
- 13:45 – Dr Daragh Finn – Clamping the Umbilical cord in Premature Deliveries
- 14:00 – Dr John O’Toole – Temporal Evolution of Quantitative EEG within 3 Days of Birth in Early Preterm Infants
- 14:15 – Dr Karen Ni Cheallachain – Estimation of the dietary requirement for vitamin D in pregnancy
- 14:30 – Dr Áine Hennessey – No association between maternal or neonatal vitamin D status and atopic disease in 2- and 5-year-old children in the Cork BASELINE Birth Cohort Study
Chairs: Prof Fred Adam & Dr Ria O’Sullivan Lago
- 14.45 – Stacey Power – The Experience of Pregnancy with Major Fetal Anomaly
- 14.50 – Sarah Carter – Variation in the Risk of Labour Induction across NHS Trusts in the United Kingdom
- 14.55 – Rachel Williamson – Evidence of mitochondrial dysfunction in Pre-eclampsia
- 15.00 – Gillian Maher – Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy and Risk of Neurodevelopmental Disorders in the Offspring: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- 15.05 – Deirdre Hayes-Ryan – Placental Growth Factor
- 15.10 – Mark O’Sullivan – Neonatal Brain Stethoscope
- 15.15 – Alison O’Shea – Neonatal Seizure Detection using Deep Convolutional Neural Networks
Participant Experiences Session
Chair: Dr Ria O’Sullivan Lago
15:45 – 16:15 – KEYNOTE: Ms Sally Crowe
Research and Involvement
- 16:15 – Carla Gower – Understanding the Experiences of Fathers of Infants with Congenital Heart Disease
- 16:30 – Dr Deirdre Twomey – The Subjective Experiences of Parents Participating in the BiHIVE #2 Study
- 16:45 – Dr Sarah Meaney – When One Twin Dies: Parents’ Experience of Perinatal Palliative Care
17:00 – Prof David Henshall, Director Future Neuro