Hosted at University College Cork (UCC), Cork, Ireland, The Irish Centre for Maternal and Child Health Research has local impact with a global reach.
INFANT is answering the international need for research and innovation to improve health outcomes for mothers and babies.
Across pregnancy, birth, infancy and childhood, INFANT is solving challenges through its key research themes.
Making pregnancy safer for mothers and babies
Improving health outcomes for newborn babies
Advancing the health and well-being of children
Impactful Scientific Breakthroughs
Our Latest Publications
- Soraia Ventura, Sean R Mathieson, John M O’Toole, Vicki Livingstone, Mary-Anne Ryan, Geraldine B Boylan (2021) “Electroencephalographic sleep macrostructure and sleep spindles in early infancy“. Sleep.
- Gillian M. Maher, Lisa Ryan, Fergus P. McCarthy, Alun Hughes, Chloe Park, Abigail Fraser, Laura D. Howe, Patricia M. Kearney & Linda M. O’Keeffe (2021) “Puberty timing and markers of cardiovascular structure and function at 25 years: a prospective cohort study”. BMC Medicine.
- Aoife Campbell, Gareth Morris, Janosch P. Heller, Elena Langa, Elizabeth Brindley, Jesper Worm, Mads Aaboe Jensen, Meghan T. Miller, David C. Henshall & Cristina R. Reschke(2021) “Antagomir-mediated suppression of microRNA-134 reduces kainic acid-induced seizures in immature mice”. Scientific Reports.
- Änne Helps, Sara Leitao, Laura O’Byrne, Richard Greene, Keelin O’Donoghue (2021) “Governance of maternity services: Effects on the management of perinatal deaths and bereavement services”.Midwifery.
- Sumit A Raurale1,2, Geraldine B Boylan1,2, Sean R Mathieson1,2, William P Marnane1,3, Gordon Lightbody1,3 and John M O’Toole4,1,2 (2021) “Grading hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy in neonatal EEG with convolutional neural networks and quadratic time-frequency distributions”. Journal of Neural Engineering.
- Brooke Armistead, Leena Kadam, Emily Siegwald, Fergus P. McCarthy, John C. Kingdom, Hamid-Reza Kohan-Ghadr, Sascha Drewlo (2021) “Induction of the PPARγ (Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor γ)-GCM1 (Glial Cell Missing 1) Syncytialization Axis Reduces sFLT1 (Soluble fms-Like Tyrosine Kinase 1) in the Preeclamptic Placenta”. Hypertension (Dallas, Tex. : 1979).
- Clarke G. (2021) “Metformin, the gut microbiome and neurogenesis: Lessons learned in rebirth of an old drug”. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity.
- Tasneem Shetewi1,2, Melissa Finnegan2, Shane Fitzgerald2, Shuai Xu3,4, Emer Duffy2 and Aoife Morrin1,2 (2021) “Investigation of the relationship between skin-emitted volatile fatty acids and skin surface acidity in healthy participants—a pilot study”. Journal of Breath Research.
- (2021)“Altered inflammasome activation in neonatal encephalopathy persists in childhood”. Clinical and Experimental Immunology.