What Your Baby Will Need:
All babies will need:
- Nappies: While regular nappies are widely available in most supermarkets, you may need to go to a pharmacy for the smallest of nappies
- Barrier cream: Check with your ‘named’ nurse to confirm suitability, but Vaseline, Sudocrem or other branded creams can often be used
- Cotton wool
- Baby wipes
Babies may not initially require clothing: they may be nursed exposed in the incubator to allow for close observation. As your baby progresses, they may be transferred into a cot and will need:
- Vests and babygrows.
- Smaller babies will also need cardigans.The unit can provide some clothing for your baby, but there is a limited supply which is generally suitable for smaller babies.
- Please consider getting clothes that button up at the front, for ease of access to your baby’s body. Keep the clothes simple and comfortable.
- The nurses will place all dirty clothing in a bag by your baby’s cot for you to take home.
- You may like to bring in your own blanket for your baby; although this is not necessary. Should you choose to bring your own blanket, please ensure that it’s cellular and labeled with your baby’s name
- Please do not bring cuddly toys or balloons to the NNU. Any such items brought into the NNU will be placed in a plastic bag and will remain outside your baby’s sleeping area. They have the potential to spread infection and are not necessary in the NNU.